‘Our first EV’ drives a Ford Mustang Mach-E ER AWD 2022 electric car.
This is ‘Our first EV’s first electric car unsurprisingly, they’ve owned the Mustang Mach-E from new and drive between 5,000-10,000 miles annually. The current mileage is between 1,000-5,000 miles and they achieve 250 miles range from a full charge.
Rate your Mustang Mach-E out of 5.
Why did you choose the Mustang Mach-E?
We loved the look of the Mach-E as soon as we saw one in print. We compared various EVs and the Mach-E had by far the best driving experience. It handles very well for such a heavy car and accelerates like a sports car. The tech/infotainment is excellent, as is the interior, which feels upmarket. We wanted an EV with a good range and so far we’ve been very impressed. As the weather warms we’ll be interested to see how the range improves. We’re also hoping BlueCruise, the automated driving option, will be activated (over the air) soon as it looks very impressive online.
Positives – List 3 or more reasons why you love this electric car.
- The looks (I’ve never had people come over to ask about a car before or point as you drive by)
- The driving experience from handling to acceleration, is so much better than other alternatives we considered.
- The brilliant (included with the car) Ford mobile charger, which comes with two plugs. One is a normal 3 pin that charges the car at about 2kWh, the other is a 32a commando style plug. If you get a 32a socket fitted by an electrician (about £150) the charger then works at 7kWh, effectively like a wall mounted home charger. Ford don’t seem to push this option as they want you to buy a Ford wall charger but it’s been brilliant since we had the correct socket fitted.
Negatives – List 3 or more things that you really don’t like about this electric car.
- The little door handle winglets on the front doors. They work perfectly well but aren’t the most attractive
- The fact that the autonomous driving system BlueCruise hasn’t been released in the UK yet
- The frunk doesn’t open from the key or app. You have to release it from the infotainment screen or with a normal bonnet release handle inside the car. It does release from the app in the US, so maybe they will update the UK software at some point?
Have you experienced any faults with the car? If so, what have they been?
What are the standout tech features of your Mustang Mach-E?
- Handling & performance
- The Ford app is very useful. Being able to start/heat/cool the car by timer or from the app is a great feature. The heated front windscreen has been a revelation on cold mornings.
- The Ford (supplied a standard) mobile charger which can charge at 7kWh with the correct socket has saved us from buying a home wall charger. The fast charge capability (150kWh) has been brilliant on longer journeys.
Surprise us! Tell us something people wouldn’t readily know about your Mustang Mach-E.
There’s no need to buy a wall charger with this car.
What electric car are you interested in next and why?
No idea, I’m enjoying the Mach-E too much.
What home charging unit do you use? Would you recommend it to others and why?
Ford mobile Varicharger (supplied to all cars).
Rate your home charging unit out of 5.
What home electricity supplier & tariff do you use? Would you recommend it to others and why?
Sainsbury’s Energy (fixed) – will swap to an off-peak option when my fix sadly ends.
Rate your electricity supplier out of 5.
What public charging networks would you recommend to others and why?
bp pulse works with Ford BlueOval network card.
List your top 3 favourite public charging networks (in order of preference).
- Pod Point.
Who do you insure your electric car with? Would you recommend them to others and why?
Rate your insurance provider out of 5.
Estimate how much money you save per month owning and running your Mustang Mach-E compared to a petrol/diesel car.