What first name would you like to appear in the review?
What is the make and model of your EV?
Volkswagen ID.3 1st Edition
What year was your EV registered?
How long have you owned your EV?
What is the mileage on your EV?
1,000 – 5,000 miles
How many EVs have you owned?
This is my first
What is the average mileage range you achieve from your EV when fully charged?
Why did you choose this car?
We were due to change our car and we really wanted an EV. We’ve had VWs for our last 5 cars and the ID.3
had just been announced so it seemed worth looking at. After quite a bit of research I signed up to be a
Positives – List 3 or more reasons why you love this car?
- Build quality
- The Matrix headlights
- The onboard technology (mostly!)
- The overall driving experience.
Negatives – List 3 or more things that you really don’t like about this car?
- The software needs significant improvements in some areas
- The We Connect ID app is woeful
- No rear speakers
- Lack of wireless phone charging.
Surprise us! Tell us something surprising about this car?
It is so much fun to drive! I actively look for excuses to go out and drive in it.
What car are you interested in next and why?
When my lease runs out (2023) I will definitely get another EV. It might be a VW (depends what they have on the market then) or perhaps a Tesla or even a Polestar. A lot can happen in 2 years so it’s hard to predict right now.
What home charging unit do you use? Would you recommend it to others and why?
Andersen A2. I would definitely recommend it because:
- It looks really nice and the cable is completely hidden. This is important for us as it is right on the front of our house and so highly visible.
- The build quality is excellent, it is mainly aluminium not plastic
- It has a load limiter to avoid overloading the house (unlikely but better safe than sorry)
- It works very well with Solar PV.
- It has excellent scheduled charging capability
- The app is easy to use and works well.
What home electricity supplier & tariff do you use? Would you recommend it to others and why?
Octopus Go Faster (20:30 – 01:30). Yes, I would recommend it.
What public charging networks do you use? Would you recommend them to others and why?
So far I have only used Instavolt (very good), Osprey (also very good) and ESB (okay). I would certainly recommend Instavolt and Osprey as for me they have been easy to use and very reliable.
Who do you insure your EV with? Would you recommend them to others and why?
VW Insurance. Yes, I would definitely recommend them. Very competitive on price, free claims management service, 3 year premium guarantee (assuming no accidents).