James Antrobus drives an Audi e-tron 50 S-Line 2021 electric car.
This is James’s first electric car, he’s owned the Audi e-tron from new and drives between 5,000-10,000 miles annually. The current mileage is between 5000-10,000 miles and he achieves 140 miles range from a full charge.
Rate your Audi e-tron out of 5.
Why did you choose the Audi e-tron 50?
The main reason was to move away from fossil fuel and hopefully help with the air quality. It was also about size, I need a large all-wheel-drive car. The range was not a massive issue but it needed the capabilities to get me to work in any weather and have enough space for my grandchildren.
Positives – List 3 or more reasons why you love this electric car.
- Space – it’s massive and fits the bill perfectly
- Comfort – it’s just brilliant as a daily drive and doesn’t feel as big as it looks
- All-wheel-drive – makes it feel planted and in the recent snow never put a foot wrong
- Speed of charging – on a fast charger it is amazing
- Air suspension is a plus.
Negatives – List 3 or more things that you really don’t like about this electric car
- Could do with a little more range but due to the size and weight, it’s understandable.
Have you experienced any faults with the car? If so, what have they been?
Only one, it was an SOS failure but resolved itself the following start and never appeared again.
What are the standout tech features of your Audi e-tron 50?
The main standout features are the headlights which are matrix and are brilliant. The e-tron has just the right amount of touchscreens without making it feel like a Tesla where they have removed things like window screen wipers. I love its car-like feel with its comfort access and 360-degree camera system which is brilliant in tight parking spaces. The stereo upgrade was worth every penny as the sound is rich and gives a surround sound stage. Electric tail gate and electric heated seats are also very nice, especially with memory.
Surprise us! Tell us something people wouldn’t readily know about this Audi e-tron 50.
Few hidden details are:
- 360-degree camera, click on the left image of the car at each point and it switches the camera to that angle
- Preheating from the house for winter driving
- Send destinations from the app straight to the car
- It will play videos from a USB stick
- Dipping passenger side mirror when in reverse.
What electric car are you interested in next and why?
Would like to look at the new Lotus SUV as it looks amazing!
What home charging unit do you use? Would you recommend it to others and why?
I use a Pod Point charging unit and highly recommend it.
Rate your home charging unit out of 5.
What home electricity supplier & tariff do you use? Would you recommend it to others and why?
Octopus Go and was the best tariff at the time with only 5p kWh after 12.30am till 4.30am.
Rate your electricity supplier out of 5.
What public charging networks would you recommend to others and why?
InstaVolt – not the cheapest but the best for speed and amount of chargers.
List your top 3 favourite public charging networks (in order of preference).
- Pod Point for a quick free charge
- bp pulse.
Who do you insure your electric car with? Would you recommend them to others and why?
Insured through my work.
Rate your insurance provider out of 5.
Estimate how much money you save per month owning and running an electric car compared to a petrol/diesel car.