Andy Smith runs a Volkswagen ID.4 GTX 77kWh 2021 electric car.
What do you think of the UK public charging network in general?
Better than it was.
What and where are your favourite UK public chargers?
- Gridserve are my favourite UK network. They are well placed, reasonably priced and generally work very well. Situated on most motorway service areas, they are great. But they are very popular!! The Rugby charging hub is awesome.
- IONITY are really fast but very expensive to use and there are not that many sites yet but if I am in a hurry, I’ll pay the price if there is one available. IONITY are brilliant in France, I used them extensively on my last trip. IONITY seem to be the only network that max out my ID.4 charging capability of 125kW.
- Osprey and InstaVolt are my next go-tos.
- bp pulse are not that great. Impossible to get a receipt if you use contactless. Rude, unhelpful customer service agents.
- I also have an Octopus Juice card. This works well in the UK and was good in France too. Although, IONITY UK takes the card, I could not get IONITY in France to work but I used the App instead.
What’s been your best experience with a UK public charger?
Rugby Gridserve Hub – ultrafast!! Well lit and good facilities. IONITY if you are prepared to pay the price.
Sign-up to Electric Road now to receive a FREE ‘Guide to the Best Electric Cars’, a weekly Newsletter and to win some great prizes!
What’s been your worst experience with a UK public charger?
bp pulse – many chargers not working. Can’t get a receipt if you pay contactless.
What’s got to change about public charging in the UK to get more people driving electric cars?
Every charger to be contactless capable. Easily accessible VAT receipt for the transaction. Multiple 150kW chargers per site.