What first name would you like to appear in the review?
What is the make and model of your EV?
Nissan LEAF 30kWh Tekna
What year was your EV registered?
How long have you owned your EV?
2 – 3 years
What is the mileage on your EV?
10,000 – 20,000 miles
How many EVs have you owned?
This is my first
What is the average mileage range you achieve from your EV when fully charged?
Why did you choose this car?
Wanted a cheap car to run that was both reliable, required less maintenance (fed up of costly garage bills on used ICE vehicles) and as a bonus I don’t emit harmful emissions into the local environment. Also helps I have solar panels so spring/summer it costs virtually nothing to run.
Positives – List 3 or more reasons why you love this car.
- smooth and comfortable
- fast acceleration so great for town driving pulling out into small gaps etc.
- cheap to run and maintain
- the ability to pre-heat so a lovely warm car to get into during winter months.
Negatives – List 3 or more things that you really don’t like about this car.
- Charging infrastructure needs a government body to take charge, it’s currently unreliable and struggling to keep up with the uptake of EVs
- Range of my LEAF – it’s more than adequate for 99% of my regular driving but for holidays to Cornwall (I live in Nottingham) I have to charge 4 times, leaving me exposed to the poor charging infrastructure
- Nissan’s poor App which doesn’t always work, combined with their lack of updating their sat navs.
Surprise us! Tell us something surprising about this car?
It leaves most cars standing at traffic lights.
What car are you interested in next and why?
Kia EV6 – beautiful looking car along with a more than adequate range.
What home charging unit do you use? Would you recommend it to others and why?
I currently just trickle charge as my usage doesn’t warrant a £500-1000 outlay on a charger, so just an outside three pin socket is used.
What home electricity supplier & tariff do you use? Would you recommend it to others and why?
Scottish Power regular tariff as I’m fairly low mileage (8,000 miles a year) and can often utilise my solar panels. I also have access to a free charger at Tesco that I use once a week.
What public charging networks do you use? Would you recommend them to others and why?
BP Pulse – but recently stopped my subscription to them as frankly they are unreliable. On long trips I’ve regularly used Ecotricity (now Gridserve) and found them reliable but not enough of them so have often ended up queuing.
Who do you insure your EV with? Would you recommend them to others and why?
Churchill – I shop around every year for my insurance as it keeps my premiums lower, not had any issues.