Pedro drives a BMW iX 2022 electric car.
This is Pedro’s second electric car, he’s owned the iX from new and drives under 5,000 miles annually. The current mileage of the car is between 500-1,000 miles and he achieves 250 miles range from a full charge.
Rate your iX out of 5
Sign-up to Electric Road now to receive a FREE ‘Guide to the Best Electric Cars’, a weekly Newsletter and to win some great prizes!
Why did you choose this electric car?
Previously owned an i3 which was approaching 3 years old. Really wanted an i4 but delivery time ended up over a year so I went for a ‘stock’ car. the iX M40. Didn’t really fall in love with the look of the car until I saw it for the first time in the flesh – blown away!
Positives – List 3 or more reasons why you love this electric car
- Range/charge rate
Negatives – List 3 or more things that you really don’t like about this electric car
- Radio and aircon come on as soon as you open the door
- steering makes a funny whining noise – must be the lack of engine noise
- proper bag for 3-pin charger but only a clear plastic bag for the type 2, really scraping the barrel.
Have you experienced any faults with the car? If so, what have they been?
What are the standout tech features of the car?
- Fabulous touchscreen but with the option of some standard buttons for us oldies
- auto cruise control with lane departure and collision assist and parallel park
- hk is great
- back massage function
- blind spot warning lights in the wing mirrors
- 5 levels of regen braking
- hud and stacks of choices for the instrument cluster
- remote app allows normal open, close and precondition functions plus the ability to stop a charge session and vary the power draw.
Surprise us! Tell us something people wouldn’t readily know about this electric car
It looks cumbersome and almost ugly in every BMW photo I’ve seen but in the flesh it’s sleek and incredibly stylish from every angle. And if anything, the front grill is too small!!
What electric car are you interested in next and why?
BMW iZ4 when they get round to it.
What home charging unit do you use? Would you recommend it to others and why?
Pod Point tethered – cheap and cheerful but not very stylish. zappi is the one to choose if you have solar.
Rate your home charging unit out of 5
What home electricity supplier & tariff do you use? Would you recommend it to others and why?
E.ON v7 Next online 19p and 3.8p for ⚡️ and ⛽️ respectively. New one is v14 which is around the current cap fixed for 12m (existing customers only). I don’t bother with EV tariffs as I have and mostly use my PV.
Rate your electricity supplier out of 5
What public charging networks would you recommend to others and why?
- PodPoint – generally free
- Gridserve rapids – much better than the old Electric Highway ones (39p per kWh). The new ones seem to be even more reliable but stupidly expensive at 60-70p.
List your top 3 favourite public charging networks (in order of preference)
- Pod Point
Who do you insure your electric car with? Would you recommend them to others and why?
LV= some EV features and very competitive with full NCD and age!
Rate your insurance provider out of 5
Estimate how much money you save per month owning and running an electric car compared to a petrol/diesel car