What first name would you like to appear in the review?
What is the make and model of your EV?
Volkswagen ID.4 1st Edition 77kWh
What year was your EV registered?
How long have you owned your EV?
0 – 1 year
What is the mileage on your EV?
10,000 – 20,000 miles
How many EVs have you owned?
This is my first
What is the average mileage range you achieve from your EV when fully charged?
Why did you choose this car?
Was due a new car and had been gradually researching EVs for a while (started with the excellent Fully Charged channel). Wanted a practical car which meant something with a good enough range that I did not have to change my driving pattern. Considered the Kia e-Niro and also the Tesla M3. But the ID.4 looked like it fit the bill – good range, practical and like all VWs, just modestly solid, nothing outrageous.
Positives – List 3 or more reasons why you love this car.
- Build quality
- Good range (overall averaging 250 miles but when conditions are good, can easily achieve 280+)
- Good charging speed.
Negatives – List 3 or more things that you really don’t like about this car.
- Haptic buttons on the infotainment screen
- We Connect ID. app has just never worked
- The autocorrect steering.
Have you experienced any faults with the car? If so, what have they been?
- The error screen has flagged a few times but seemingly corrects itself (forums sometimes suggest this happens in cold weather, which isn’t really logical)
- Generally the build quality is great but have noticed that one of the back door seals has come loose
- Otherwise no issues experienced.
What are the standout tech features of the car?
- Both it’s D and B (regen) driving modes have their place – cruise on the motorway on D and use B when in urban driving and it’ll comfortably slow you down when you lift the foot, although not quite one-pedal driving.
- There is a light bar underneath the windscreen which will help you when using navigation or Apple Maps (sadly not Google Maps)
- The interior night lights (customisable) is pretty neat.
Surprise us! Tell us something people wouldn’t readily know about this car.
Very practical and spacious car – fitted a 8ft Christmas tree easily. While top speed is limited, in real terms it is easily quick enough off the line and cruising at motorway speeds.
Rate your EV out of 5.
What car are you interested in next and why?
Hyundai IONIQ 5 – seems to punch way above its weight or Tesla Model Y.
What home charging unit do you use? Would you recommend it to others and why?
Andersen wall charger – it looks amazing if quite a bit expensive. The app works well and I only use the app to manage my charging – so I haven’t used the ID.4’s own in-car set up for charging.
Rate your home charging unit out of 5.
What home electricity supplier & tariff do you use? Would you recommend it to others and why?
Octopus Go – they have been great and the 4 hours cheap tariff makes charging the car great.
Rate your electricity supplier out of 5.
What public charging networks would you recommend to others and why?
Instavolt and Gridserve – both have been reliable and easy to use (e.g. tap in pay) for road trips. But interestingly, I do 90%+ of my charging at home.
List your top 3 favourite public charging networks (in order of preference).
- Gridserve (haven’t used any others)
Who do you insure your EV with? Would you recommend them to others and why?
Admiral – we were initially limited with choice but there may be more choice now for EVs.
Rate your insurance provider out of 5.
Estimate how much money you save per month owning and running an EV compared to a petrol/diesel car.