What name would you like to appear in your article?
What is the make, model and year of your EV?
Honda e Advance 2020
What got you into an EV in the first place?
I’m a retired Mechanical Engineer/Designer and have always been an early adopter of new technology. Also increasing aware of air pollution and how we must all move on from Internal Combustion Engines. I don’t have the need for a Tesla-size vehicle (or the budget) and hate the SUV trend. So I wanted a small BEV. I wasn’t impressed by the i3, a Smart was too small, a Mini not a real BEV and then I saw the Honda e concept and the prototype. To hell with the cost, I HAD to have one.
What didn’t you know to begin with?
- Whether the ‘small range’ would be an issue, I thought not
- Had to understand miles per kWh, charging rates etc and get my head round some sums
- Whether I could afford a new car/justify the expense
- I did my research on local public chargers.
What did you find most confusing about EVs and how did you solve that?
I had to order my car without any test drive. My decision was based on gut feel and researching the specs of alternatives.
I was very surprised on the first test drive (a week before mine was eventually delivered) how easy the car was to drive, even in One Pedal mode which I love!
What sources of information helped you e.g. people, groups, websites etc?
Initially the Honda website and some dealer input. Lots of online reviews on YouTube and then the Honda e Forum, Twitter etc.
Why did you buy the car you did?
- The design: very simple
- Powerful enough
- A small car but big enough for me (and the wife on occasion)
- Very impressed with quality of ride, suspension, handling etc.
- Safety features were not an ‘essential’ for me but actually very useful, as are lots of cameras.