Peter Crowther has become the first person to purchase a vehicle from Motorpoint through the Clean Air Zone Vehicle Scrappage and Travel Scheme. Pictured from the left are Mark Jones, Sales Manager at Motorpoint Birmingham with Peter and Olivia Crowther.
The UK’s largest independent car retailer, which has branches in Aston and Oldbury, was recently selected by Birmingham City Council to help deliver the £10m Clean Air Zone Vehicle Scrappage and Travel Scheme.
Under the scheme, which went live on May 12, people who work in the zone and earn less than £30,000 per annum, will now be able to scrap their vehicle with Motorpoint. In exchange, they will receive £2,000 credit towards a compliant vehicle.
And Peter, who works within the Faculty of Arts, Design and Media at Birmingham City University, became the first person in the West Midlands to take advantage of the scheme to buy himself a Skoda Fabia to use to commute between home in Willenhall and work in Central Birmingham.
“I’ve had my Nissan Note for about five years,” explained 29 year-old Peter, “during which time I’ve done over 100,000 miles with work, firstly with BBC WM and then, more recently, 5Live in Salford. However, it was getting close to its MOT and I knew I would have to spend a lot of money to get it to pass, and I didn’t think it was worth it given its value.
“Then I heard about the scheme and I would be lying if I said that the £2,000 credit towards a new car wasn’t a factor in deciding to change now as it has really helped in terms of affordability. Ironically, whilst this is the third car that I have owned, this will be the first that I have actually bought from a dealer, as the other two were through family and friends, but the experience has been really good with everyone at Motorpoint being really helpful throughout.”
Peter added: “I am really happy to have taken advantage of the Clean Air Zone Vehicle Scrappage and Travel Scheme and get on the road with a much newer and a much cleaner car, especially one from Motorpoint which also comes with the rest of the manufacturer’s warranty, giving me added peace of mind.”
The Birmingham’s Clean Air Zone goes live on June 1, 2021. From this date the owners of vehicles that do not meet the emission standards of the Clean Air Zone will be subject to a daily fee of £8 to enter the zone. The Clean Air Zone is an area of Birmingham city centre inside the A4540 Middleway (but not the Middleway itself).
Kevin Cartwright, General Manager of Motorpoint Birmingham and Oldbury, added: “We’re delighted to see our first customer drive off the forecourt in their new car through the Clean Air Zone Vehicle Scrappage and Travel Scheme. Peter really couldn’t have been happier. His Skoda Fabia is not only fully Clean Air Zone compliant ahead of June 1st but offers a level of comfort, reliability and low running costs that he didn’t enjoy previously, and which I am sure he will appreciate in the coming weeks and months.”
Motorpoint currently has over hundreds of low mileage, nearly new cars and light commercial vehicles available from over 30 different manufacturers at its branches in the West Midlands – all of which are fully Clean Air Zone compliant. Every vehicle from Motorpoint comes with the balance of manufacturer’s warranty backed by the Motorpoint Price Promise. This means Motorpoint will refund the difference to any customer within seven days of their order if they find the same car cheaper from a competitor. As a bonus, it will also give the customer £50 worth of Amazon vouchers to spend.
Plus, as part of the company’s on-going COVID-19 safeguarding processes, all vehicle collections will be completed in specially designated areas to always guarantee social distancing while an online portal means the car buying experience is completely paperless with customers able to sign for their new car using their mobile phone.
The full eligibility criteria and terms and conditions for the scheme are available at www.brumbreathes.co.uk.
About Birmingham’s Clean Air Zone
- Birmingham’s Clean Air Zone will launch on 1 June 2021. From this date the owners of vehicles that do not meet the emission standards of the Clean Air Zone will be subject to a daily fee to enter the zone. The Clean Air Zone is an area of Birmingham city centre inside the A4540 Middleway (but not the Middleway itself)
- For more information on how the zone will operate, temporary exemption permits, as well to apply for the Scrappage and Travel Scheme, visit brumbreathes.co.uk
- Motorpoint is the UK’s largest independent car retailer selling nearly new cars up to four years old and with less than 30,000 miles. Every vehicle comes with warranty and is available to drive away the same day using our Reserve and Collect service*
- Motorpoint are committed to making car buying easy which is why, backed by the Motorpoint Price Promise, Motorpoint will also refund the difference to any customer within seven days of their order if they find the same car from a competitor. As an added bonus, it will also give the customer £50 worth of Amazon vouchers to spend
- Motorpoint was established in 1998
- Motorpoint has made contactless collection standard procedure in light of COVID-19. This facility allows customers to adhere to the latest social distancing guidelines and choose, buy and drive away without any physical contact with a member of staff.
- Motorpoint also offers a home delivery service covering the whole of the UK mainland for those customers who would prefer not to visit the branch, backed by its 14-day hassle free, money back guarantee
- It operates from locations in Birmingham, Birtley, Burnley, Castleford, Chingford, Derby, Glasgow, Newport, Oldbury, Peterborough, Sheffield, Stockton-on-Tees, Swansea and Widnes
- Motorpoint also operates a UK based call centre based in Derby
- Motorpoint employs over 800 people nationwide
- Motorpoint has been named a Feefo Platinum Service Award winner for 2020
- Motorpoint was named one of the Sunday Times Top 100 Mid-Sized Companies to Work for in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
- For more information on Motorpoint visit motorpoint.co.uk